top of page
Caswell Tennis Center
An Austin Original Since 1946
Built in 1946, Caswell Tennis Center has been an Austin icon for decades. Located at 24th and Lamar, its central location and historic significance makes Caswell the hub of tennis activity in Austin. This municipal tennis center has also been recognized by the Austin Chronicle as the "Best Tennis Courts" in Austin.
Caswell's History Timeline
-Modern Renovations of Caswell are completed
-Lights are added for nighttime play at Caswell
-Courts 7 & 8 are added and all courts are resurfaced with modern Laykold Hard Court Surface
-Construction of Caswell completed with 6 Clay Courts
-Lewis Hilley, student of Daniel Penick was hired as Caswell's 1st Pro
-Austin Tennis Club with W.T. Caswell, H.B. Dunagan, Curtis Bishop, Woodrow Sledge, Moe Brown, Ann Allison, Lucien LaCoste, et al open Caswell
-W. T. Caswell sought opportunity in the 1946 Bond issue for one of the Country's best public tennis centers. He offered to provide clubhouse facilities on the condition that construction begin immediately and that the location be scenic. The center was approved on the eastern hill of the Shoal Creek Valley Greenbelt
-Texas resident Wilmer Allison wins the U.S. National Championship defeating Sidney Wood. Wilmer Allison and John Van Ryn win the doubles title as well.
-Texas resident Wilmer Allison and his partner John Van Ryn win the Wimbledon doubles title. Allison also wins the mixed double title with Edith Cross
-Texas resident Wilmer Allison and his partner John Van Ryn win the Wimbledon doubles title.
-The 2nd state tennis tournament in Texas is held in Austin
bottom of page